Huatong Sun, Ph.D.
Digital & Social Media, Global User Experience Design
Digital & Social Media, Global User Experience Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Rhetoric and Technical communication, Social Computing, Informatics
TCOM 220 Social Media
TCOM 320 Principles of Web Design
TCOM 330 Mobile Communication & Social Practice
TCOM 350 Editing and Design for Print Media
TCOM 420 Advanced Web Design
TCOM 440 Cross-Cultural Communication Design
TGID 420 Reflexive Design Portfolio
• Jay R. Gould Award for Excellence in Teaching Technical Communication, Society for Technical Communication, 2022
• Best Book in Technical or Scientific Communication Award by NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English): 2022, 2013
• 2022 Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) Advancement of Knowledge Award
• 2022 CCCC Research Impact Award
• 2017 Theodore von Kármán Fellowship, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
• Nell Ann Picket Award for the Best Article of Technical Communication Quarterly, 2006
• CCCC Outstanding Dissertation Award in Technical Communication, 2005
• The 8th Annual Localisation Research Centre Best Thesis Award, University of Limerick, Ireland, 2004
|Publication Date||Bibliographic Citation|
Sun, H. (2020). Global social media design: Bridging differences across cultures. New York: Oxford University Press.
Sun, H. & Hart-Davidson, W. (2014). Binding the material and the discursive with a relational approach of affordances. ACM SIGCHI (Computer-Human Interaction) 2014 Annual Conference (22% acceptance rate). 3533-3542.
Sun, H. (2013). Sina Weibo of China: From a copycat to a local uptake of a global technology assemblage. International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge Development, 5(4), 27-37.
Sun, H. (2012). Cross-cultural technology design: Creating culture-sensitive technology for local users. New York: Oxford University Press.
Sun, H. (2009). Towards a rhetoric of locale: Localizing mobile messaging technology into everyday life. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 39(2), 245-261.
Sun, H. (2006). The triumph of users: Achieving cultural usability goals with user localization. Technical Communication Quarterly, 15(4), 457-481.
. Sun, H. (2001). Building a culturally-competent corporate Web site: An exploratory study of cultural markers in multilingual Web design. Proceedings of ACM Special Interest Group for Design of Communications (SIGDOC) 2001, Santa Fe, NM, 95-102.