Donald Chinn, Ph.D
Computer science education.
Previous experience includes:
Instructor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Washington
Software Design Engineer, Microsoft Corporation
- 2014 Awarded the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2006 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2005 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2004 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2002 Nominated for the ACM Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of Washington Seattle
- Fall 2002 – present: Instructor for various CSS courses at UWT, including: object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithm design and analysis (undergraduate and graduate), computer ethics, discrete mathematics, databases, and theory of computing (undergraduate and graduate).
- Winter 2010, Spring 2011: Instructor for a course on logic and science in the freshman core at UWT.
- Winter 2007, 2008: Co-instructor for an interdisciplinary course on science, technology, and society in the freshman core at UWT.
- Winter 2001, Fall 2001 – Spring 2002: Instructor for various CSE courses at UW Seattle, including: data structures, introductory programming (with Senior Lecturer Hal Perkins), and formal languages and finite automata.
|Publication Date||Bibliographic Citation|
Tenenberg, J. and Chinn, D. Social genesis in computing education. Transactions on Computing Education. 19(4), November 2019, 1-30.
Tenenberg, J., Wolff-Michael, R., Chinn, D., Jornet, A., Socha, D., and Walter, S. More than the Code: Learning Rules of Rejection in Writing Programs. Communications of the ACM, 61(5), May 2018, 66-71.
A. Miles, Y. Bai, D. Chinn, and B. Bhargava. An Experimental Study of Hybrid Energy-Aware Scheduling in a Cloud Testbed. Proceedings of the 6th Global Information Infrastructure and Networking Symposium, Montreal, Canada, September 2014, 6 pages.
Sheard, J., Carbone, A., Chinn, D., and Laakso, M.-J. Study Habits of CS1 Students: What do they say they do? Learning and Teaching in Computing and Engineering (LaTiCE) conference, Macau, March 22-24, 2013.
Sheard, J., Simon, Carbone, A., Chinn, D., Clear, T., Corney, M., D’Souza, D., Fenwick, J., Harland, J., Laakso, M.-J., and Teague, D. How difficult are exams? A framework for assessing the complexity of introductory programming exams. Fifteenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE 2013). CRPIT, 136. Adelaide, Australia, ACS, January 29-February 1, 2013, 145-154.
Feuerborn, L. and Chinn, D. Teacher perceptions of student emotional and behavioral needs: Implications for Positive Behavior Supports. Behavioral Disorders, 37(4), August 2012, 219-231.
Simon, Sheard, J., Carbone A., Chinn, D., Laakso, M.-J., Clear, T., de Raadt, M., D'Souza, D., Lister, R., Philpot, A., Skene, J., and Warburton, G. Introductory programming: examining the exams. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE 2012). CRPIT, 123. Melbourne, Australia, ACS, January 2012, 61-70.
Sheard, J., Simon, Carbone, A., Chinn, D., Laakso, M.-J., Clear, T., de Raadt, M., D’Souza, D., Harland, J., Lister, R., and Philpot, A., Warburton, G. Exploring programming assessment instruments: a classification scheme for examination questions. International Computing Education Research Workshop (ICER 2011), Providence, RI, August 2011, 33-38.