Donald Chinn, Ph.D
Computer science education.
Previous experience includes:
Instructor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Washington
Software Design Engineer, Microsoft Corporation
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Awarded the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2006 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2005 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2004 Nominated for the Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington Tacoma
- 2002 Nominated for the ACM Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of Washington Seattle
- Fall 2002 – present: Instructor for various CSS courses at UWT, including: object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithm design and analysis (undergraduate and graduate), computer ethics, discrete mathematics, databases, and theory of computing (undergraduate and graduate).
- Winter 2010, Spring 2011: Instructor for a course on logic and science in the freshman core at UWT.
- Winter 2007, 2008: Co-instructor for an interdisciplinary course on science, technology, and society in the freshman core at UWT.
- Winter 2001, Fall 2001 – Spring 2002: Instructor for various CSE courses at UW Seattle, including: data structures, introductory programming (with Senior Lecturer Hal Perkins), and formal languages and finite automata.
Tenenberg, J. and Chinn, D. Social genesis in computing education. Transactions on Computing Education. 19(4), November 2019, 1-30.
Tenenberg, J., Wolff-Michael, R., Chinn, D., Jornet, A., Socha, D., and Walter, S. More than the Code: Learning Rules of Rejection in Writing Programs. Communications of the ACM, 61(5), May 2018, 66-71.
A. Miles, Y. Bai, D. Chinn, and B. Bhargava. An Experimental Study of Hybrid Energy-Aware Scheduling in a Cloud Testbed. Proceedings of the 6th Global Information Infrastructure and Networking Symposium, Montreal, Canada, September 2014, 6 pages.
Sheard, J., Carbone, A., Chinn, D., and Laakso, M.-J. Study Habits of CS1 Students: What do they say they do? Learning and Teaching in Computing and Engineering (LaTiCE) conference, Macau, March 22-24, 2013.
Sheard, J., Simon, Carbone, A., Chinn, D., Clear, T., Corney, M., D’Souza, D., Fenwick, J., Harland, J., Laakso, M.-J., and Teague, D. How difficult are exams? A framework for assessing the complexity of introductory programming exams. Fifteenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE 2013). CRPIT, 136. Adelaide, Australia, ACS, January 29-February 1, 2013, 145-154.
Feuerborn, L. and Chinn, D. Teacher perceptions of student emotional and behavioral needs: Implications for Positive Behavior Supports. Behavioral Disorders, 37(4), August 2012, 219-231.
Simon, Sheard, J., Carbone A., Chinn, D., Laakso, M.-J., Clear, T., de Raadt, M., D'Souza, D., Lister, R., Philpot, A., Skene, J., and Warburton, G. Introductory programming: examining the exams. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE 2012). CRPIT, 123. Melbourne, Australia, ACS, January 2012, 61-70.
Sheard, J., Simon, Carbone, A., Chinn, D., Laakso, M.-J., Clear, T., de Raadt, M., D’Souza, D., Harland, J., Lister, R., and Philpot, A., Warburton, G. Exploring programming assessment instruments: a classification scheme for examination questions. International Computing Education Research Workshop (ICER 2011), Providence, RI, August 2011, 33-38.