Thillainathan Logenthiran, Ph.D.
Dr Thillainathan Logenthiran is a Faculty in Electrical Power Engineering at University of Washington Tacoma, United States. Previously, he was an Assistant Professor at the school of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Newcastle University (United Kingdom) for five years and a Postdoctoral Researcher for a year at University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom. He is also a Visiting Lecturer and University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka.
He was a Degree Program Director for the Master Degree program of Electrical Power Engineering, and a Research Lead of the School of EEE, Newcastle University. He is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), and Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom.
Dr T Logenthiran was a chairman of the IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Singapore Chapter for year 2018 and a treasurer for the years 2016-17. He received several awards and scholarships including the first prize award in Siemens Smart Grid Innovation Contest and a Newcastle Teaching Award.
His main research areas of interest include smart grid, micro grid, renewable energy resources, and the applications of computational intelligent techniques & intelligent multi-agent system for development of smart grid and modern power systems. He has published more than 100 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, book chapters and conference papers.
Also, he has an extensive industrial experience as an Electrical Consultant for five years with Singapore electrical consultant companies where he has carried out several projects with Singapore Utilities and Oil & Gas industries.
You can view his Google Scholar profile from here
TECE 531 - Advanced Power System Operation
TECE 533 - Renewable Energy Systems
TECE 535 - Power Distribution Systems
TEE 431 - Electric Power Engineering/Labs
TEE 433 - Sustainable Energy for Future Power Grid
TEE 498/499 - Directed Reading/Research
TEE 497 - Internships
TEE 315 - Electrical Circuits II/Labs
TCES 215 - Electrical Circuits I/Labs
TCES 390 - CES/EE Seminars
EPE8201: Advanced Power System Analysis
EPE8205: Power System Operation and Management
EEE3204/EPE3204: Renewable Energy Systems
EEE3203/EPE3203: Generation, Transmission and Distribution
EEE2202/EPE2202: Digital Electronics
EC9030: Electricity Generation from Renewable Energy Sources
EC9010: High Voltage Engineering
EC4030: Electric Power
EG1108: Electrical Engineering
IE: Industrial Electronics
DE: Digital Electronics
CS: Control System
His main research areas of interest include:
- Smart Grids, Smart Homes, Smart Buildings and Smart Nations
- Micro Grids, Clean & Renewable Energy Resources and Their Integration
- Active Network Management (ANM): Self-healing Networks, Power Flow Management and Voltage Control
- Power Systems: Energy Management System (EMS), Optimization and Electricity Markets
- Demand Responses: Demand Side Management, Optimization and Integration of Electrical Vehicles
- Distributed Control and Management
- Applications of Intelligent Multi-Agent System (MAS) and Internet of Things (IoT) for Power Engineering
- Applications of Computational Intelligent Techniques and Optimization Techniques
Honors and Awards
UK IET Chartered Engineer (CEng), 2020
• Nominated for a Teaching Excellence Award in the Research Supervisor of the Year 2018
• Newcastle Teaching Award, Newcastle University, 2016
• Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom, 2016
• Outstanding Mobile Application Design, Smart Metering for Multi-Utilities, EMA, PUB and SPgroup, 2017
• Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), United States, 2016
• First Prize Award Winner of Siemens Smart Grid Innovation Contest, 2011. Click here for more info
• Third Prize Award of Best Research Poster Presentation in IEEE PES Graduate Student Workshop, Singapore, 2010
Editorial Board Activities:
• Associate Editor of IET Smart Grid
• Member of IEEE PES Seattle Chapter Advisory Board, From 2020
• Webmaster for IEEE PES Seattle Chapter, From 2020
• Publicity Chair and Technical Committee of International Conference on Design, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (DMEE), 2020, 2021, 2022
• Executive Committee Member and University of Washington Tacoma’s Representative of the IEEE PES Seattle Chapter, From 2019
• International Advisory Committee and Technical Program Committee of IEEE PES Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) – Asia, 2019
• Committee Member of IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), 2019
• Technical Co-Chair and Organizing Team Member of IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technology (ICSET), 2019
• Technical Program Committee of IEEE PES GTD Asia, 2019
• Chairman of IEEE PES Singapore Chapter, 2018
• Registration Chair and Organizing Team Member of IEEE PES Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) – Asia, 2018
• Special Session Chair for “Impacts of Renewable Energy and Distributed Generation” and “Machine Learning Techniques for Smart Grids”, IEEE PES Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) – Asia, 2018
• Webmaster for IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) – Asia, 2018
• Keynote Speaker on "Research Methodologies and Industrial Practices on Power System Network Resiliency", IEEE International Conference on Green Energy and Applications (ICGEA), 2018
• Technical Program Chair and a Committee Member of IEEE International Conference on Green Energy and Applications (ICGEA), 2018
• Webmaster for IEEE PES Singapore Chapter, 2018
• Technical Committee of 8th IEEE India International Conference on Power Electronics (II5E), 2018
• International Technical and Publicity Committee of International Conference on Design, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (DMEE) and International Conference on Power Electronics and Control Engineering (ICPECE) 2018
• Plenary Speaker of “Micro Grid, Storage and LVDC”, IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), 2017
• IET Mentor, From 2017
• IEEE Admission and Advancement Committee - Senior Member Review Panel, April 2017
• Treasurer of IEEE PES Singapore Chapter, 2016, 2017
• IEEE PES R10 Chapter Chair Meeting, 2016 (Melbourne), 2017 (Bangalore)
• General Committee - IEEE Symposium on Emerging Topics in Smart and Sustainable Grids, 2016
• Session Chair for "Energy & Demand Management", IEEE Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) – Asia, 2016
• Session Chair for "Smart Distribution Systems: Technologies and Management" and “Micro Grids and Distributed Generation”, IEEE International Technical Conference of IEEE Region 10 (TENCON), 2016
• Technical Programme Committee Member - IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technology (ICSET) , Vietnam, 2016
• International Conference Advisory Committee Member - IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Signal Processing (MALSIP), Italy, 2016
• IEEE Mentor, From 2015
• International Conference Advisory Committee Member - IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Signal Processing (MALSIP), Vietnam, 2015
• IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
• IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
• IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy
• IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
• IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
• IET Smart Grid
• IET Smart Grid Renewable Power Generation
• IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution
• International Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy
• International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems
• IEEE/PES/CIS, United States, Senior Member
• IET, United Kingdom, Member
• Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom, Associate Fellow
• IES, Singapore, Member
W. Li, T. Logenthiran, V. Phan, and W. L. Woo, "A Novel Smart Energy Theft System (SETS) for IoT based Smart Home" in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019.
B. M. S. Muhammad Ramadan, T. Logenthiran, R.T Naayagi, and W. L. Woo, “Nano-biased Energy Management using Reinforced Learning Multi Agent on Layered Coalition Model: Consumers Sovereignty,” IEEE Access, 2019.
Y. T. Quek, W. L. Woo and T. Logenthiran, “Load Disaggregation using 1-Directional Convolutional Stacked Long Short-Term Memory Recurrent Neural Network,” in IEEE Systems Journal, 2019.
Y. T. Quek, W. L. Woo and T. Logenthiran, “IoT Load Classification and Anomaly Warning in ELV DC Pico-grids using Hierarchical Enhanced k-Nearest Neighbors,” in IEEE Journal of Internet of Things, 2019.
Y. Tang, S. Zhao, C. W. Ten, K. Zhang and T. Logenthiran, “Establishment of Enhanced Load Modeling by Correlating with Occupancy Information,” in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2019.
T. T. Teo, T. Logenthiran, W. L. Woo, and K. Abidi, "Advanced control strategy for an energy storage system in a grid-connected microgrid with renewable energy generation," in IET Smart Grid, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 96-103, 10 2018.
T. T. Teo, T. Logenthiran, W. L. Woo, and K. Abidi, "Intelligent Controller for Energy Storage System in Grid-Connected Microgrid," in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2018.
M. R. B. M. Saifuddin, T. Logenthiran, R. T. Naayagi, and W. L. Woo, "Apprehending Fault Crises for an Autogenous Nanogrid System: Sustainable Buildings," in IEEE Systems Journal, 2018.
W. Li, T. Logenthiran, V. Phan, and W. L. Woo, "Implemented IoT-Based Self-Learning Home Management System (SHMS) for Singapore," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 2212-2219, June 2018.
W. Li, T. Logenthiran, and W. L. Woo, “Multi-GRU Prediction System for Electricity Generation's Planning and Operation,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, 2018.
W. Li, C. H. Ng, T. Logenthiran, V. T. Phan, and W. L. Woo, "Smart Grid Distribution Management System (SGDMS) for Optimised Electricity Bills", Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, Vol.6 No.8, 2018.
W Li, T. Logenthiran, V. T. Phan, and W. L. Woo, "Housing Development Building Management System (HDBMS) For Optimized Electricity Bills", Transactions on Environment and Electrical Engineering, Vol 2, No 2, 2017.
Y. T. Quek, W. L. Woo, and T. Logenthiran, “ A Very Short-Term Energy Forecasting Technique for Small Scale Photovoltaic Systems using k-Nearest Neighbour Algorithm," GSTF Journal of Engineering Technology, vol.4 no.3, 2017.
Y. T. Quek, W. L. Woo, and T. Logenthiran, "Smart Sensing of Loads in an Extra Low Voltage DC Pico-Grid Using Machine Learning Techniques," in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 7775-7783, 1 Dec.1, 2017.
V. Phan, D. Nguyen, Q. Trinh, C. Nguyen, and T. Logenthiran, "Harmonics Rejection in Stand-Alone Doubly-Fed Induction Generators With Nonlinear Loads," in IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 815-817, June 2016.
V. T. Phan, T. Logenthiran, W. L. Woo, D. Atkinson, and V. Pickert, "Analysis and compensation of voltage unbalance of a DFIG using predictive rotor current control", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Volume 75, Pages 8-18, 2016.
T. Logenthiran, and D. Srinivasan, “Multi-Agent System for Managing Distributed Energy Storage and Electrical Vehicles,” Intelligent Decision Technologies, vol.9, no.2, 2015.
T. Logenthiran, W. L. Woo, and V. T. Phan, "Lagrangian relaxation hybrid with evolutionary algorithm for short-term generation scheduling", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Volume 64, Pages 356-364, 2015.
T. Logenthiran, R. T. Naayagi, W. L. Woo, V. Phan, and K. Abidi, "Intelligent Control System for Microgrids Using Multiagent System," in IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1036-1045, Dec. 2015.
T. Logenthiran, D. Srinivasan, and K. W. M. Vanessa, "Demand side management of smart grid: Load shifting and incentives", Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 6, 2014.
D. Sharma, A. Trivedi, D. Srinivasan, and T. Logenthiran, "Multi-agent modeling for solving profit based unit commitment problem", Applied Soft Computing, Volume 13, Issue 8, Pages 3751-3761, 2013.
T. Logenthiran, D. Srinivasan, A. M. Khambadkone, and H. N. Aung, "Multiagent System for Real-Time Operation of a Microgrid in Real-Time Digital Simulator," in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 925-933, June 2012.
T. Logenthiran, D. Srinivasan, and T. Z. Shun, "Demand Side Management in Smart Grid Using Heuristic Optimization," in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1244-1252, Sept. 2012.
T. Logenthiran, and D. Srinivasan, "Optimal selection and sizing of distributed energy resources for distributed power systems," Journal of Renewable Sustainable Energy, 4 (5), 2012.T. Logenthiran, and D. Srinivasan, "Multi-agent system for the operation of an integrated microgrid", Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 4, 2012.
T. Logenthiran, D. Srinivasan, A. M. Khambadkone, "Multi-agent system for energy resource scheduling of integrated microgrids in a distributed system", Electric Power Systems Research, Volume 81, Issue 1, Pages 138-148, 2011.