Mike Allen, Ph.D.
Dr. Allen is retired, but can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michael Allen, Professor of History at the University of Washington, Tacoma, was born and raised in Ellensburg, Washington. After serving with the U.S. Marines in Vietnam, he earned his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees, respectively, from Central Washington State College, University of Montana, and University of Washington, Seattle. Michael lives in Ellensburg and Tacoma and has three children, Jim, Davy, and Caroline.
His teaching history includes courses in introductory U.S. History, the American Revolution and Civil War, and the American frontier.
- The Historical Society
- Washington State Historical Society
- Pacific Northwest Historians Guild
- Kittitas County Historical Society
- Rodeo History Society (National Cowboy Hall of Fame)
- Phi Alpha Theta International History Honorary Society
- National Association of Scholars
- Founder, Ellensburg Rodeo Hall of Fame Association
- 2010: Referee, Pacific Historical Quarterly
- 2008-present: Trustee, Board of Trustees, Washington State Historical Society
- 2009-2017: UW Tacoma History BA Coordinator
- 2009-11: IAS Faculty Council
- 2009-10: Student Affairs Veterans Affairs Work Group
- 2005-2008: Interim Coordinator, Historical Studies & Faculty Rep AHA
Honors and Awards
- 2013: Distinguished Research Award, UW Tacoma
- 2011: Visiting Scholar, Yukon College, Whitehorse YT, Summer Semester, 2011
- 2010: #1 New York Times Non-fiction Bestseller (A Patriots History of the United States); #1 on Amazon.com (all categories)2/11-22, 2010
- 2008: Hammond Annual Lecture in Western History, University of Montana
- 2006: Curtiss Hill Memorial Lecture, Washington State Historical Society
- 2005: Distinguished Teaching Award, UW Tacoma
- 2005: Lysander Spooner Award (Laissez Faire Books) for Advancing the Literature of Liberty, for A Patriots History of the United States
- 2004: ASUWT (Associated Students of the University of Washington, Tacoma) Presidents Excellence in Leadership and Service Award (First Recipient)