David Reyes, DNP, MN/MPH, RN, PHNA-BC
David Reyes, DNP, MN/MPH, RN is Assistant Professor of Nursing & Health Care Leadership at UW Tacoma. Dr. Reyes joined the faculty at the University of Washington Tacoma (UWT) in 2014, and has held clinical, educational and leadership roles in community and public health, acute care, home health, and perioperative nursing. His primary interests are in in addressing the root causes of health inequity and disparities, building community capacity to improve health, and population health systems. His research uses community-based participatory approaches that focus on equitable relationships with diverse communities to improve health outcomes.
Dr. Reyes has held national level health policy, leadership, and professional roles in the American Public Health Association, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Institute of Medicine’s Standing Committee on Family Planning, and the Washington State Public Health Association.
Dr. Reyes received his Doctor of Nursing Practice (2013), and Master of Nursing and Master of Public Health degrees (2002) from the University of Washington. He received his Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Seattle University with a minor in history in 1983; Dr. Reyes is board certified in Advanced Public Health Nursing.
- Community based participatory research
- Mixed methods -
- Qualitative: content analysis; interpretative
- Quantitative: descriptive survey
- Community capacity and leadership to identify and prioritize health indicators
- Exploring root causes/determinants of health disparities and health inequity
- Intersection and impact of policy, structural and environmental factors on health
- Organizational and leadership development
- Population health systems improvement
- Integration of population health and primary care
- Community/population health nursing workforce development
- Shifting Financial Power to Students: Does It Affect Health Equity, PI (2019-present)
- Tacoma-Pierce County Indoor Air Pollution Project, Co-PI (2017-present)
- Assessing access to and the perceived need for quality food sources to promote food equity, food justice and community health in South Tacoma; Puyallup Watershed Initiative, Just & Health Food System Community of Interest, PI (2016-present)
- Courses Taught
- Assessment & Planning for Healthcare Leaders
- Business of Healthcare
- Diversity, Health & Inequities
- Health, Communities & Populations
- Healthcare Accreditation & Legal Issues
- Healthcare Systems & Health Policy
- Nursing Leadership
Honors and Awards
2017. Washington State Nurses Association, Marguerite Cobb Public Health/Community Health Nurse
2016. Finalist, March of Dimes Community & Public Health Nurse of the Year
Evans-Agnew, R., Reyes, D., Primomo, J., Meyer, K., & Mattlock-Hightower, C. (2017). Community health needs assessments: Expanding the boundaries of nursing education in population health. Public Health Nursing; 34(1) 69-77. doi: 10.1111/phn.12298.
Reyes, D.J., Bekemeier, B., & Issel, L.M. (2014). Challenges faced by public health nursing leaders in hyperturbulent times. Public Health Nursing, doi: 10.1111/phn.12078.
Swider, S.M., Krothe, J., Reyes, D., & Cravetz, M. (2013). The Quad Council practice competencies for public health nursing. Public Health Nursing, doi: 10.1111/phn.12090.